My Short Story Continued

(If you missed the first part of the story, click here to read)

A New Friend
Walking to the door of the hospital from the handicap parking lot was like a déjà vu feeling the same every time. The automatic doors slid open to welcome Kaylee and her mom. Kaylee felt like a robot, going to the receptionist’s desk and stating her name, like she did every time she came. She took the seat beside her mom, who was scanning through a magazine.

“Nora!” someone called to Kaylee’s mom. Mom looked up and waved at the woman who had called her name. She turned to Kaylee. “I’m going to go over and talk to Lynette. If you get called back, you can go by yourself, right?”

Kaylee sighed and rolled her eyes. “Yes, mom.” Sometimes it seemed like she forgot that Kaylee was 16 and could take care of herself.

The automatic doors swished and whined as they opened and closed once again. Kaylee glanced over and spotted a woman, probably in her 50s or 60s wearing dark sunglasses and walking a black dog with a vest that said “Working dog, do not pet.” She went to the receptionist’s desk and waited for assistance.

“May I help you?” the receptionist said.

“Yes, I’m here for my check-up. Mary Walters.”

“OK, Mary. Have a seat, and the doctor will be with you shortly.”

The woman turned, and her dog guided her to the seat beside Kaylee.

“Hello,” she said, settling herself into the seat,. “How are you, today?”

“I’m good, and you?” Kaylee made an attempt to be friendly.

“Fine,” Mary smiled brightly. “It’s a lovely day, isn’t it?

“Yes.” Kaylee answered, but she knew the woman was blind and couldn’t really see the lovely day.

“You have a cute dog,” Kaylee commented.

“Yes, Lacie,” The dog perked one of her silky, jet-black ears at hearing her name, but she stayed lying down with her nose on her paws. “She’s been good to me.”

“How long have you had her?”

“Oh, about three years now,” Mary said, reaching down to pet Lacie. “I’m sure glad I got her. I almost didn’t.”

“Why not?”

“Well, I became blind about a decade ago. A few years back, my son decided I needed some extra help getting around. And I said, ‘No, I can get around just fine with my trusty cane.’ Mary laughed, a contagious laugh. “Stubborn old woman I was.”

Lacie shifted and laid her head on her owner’s shoes like a pillow. Mary sat back and continued, “He had the idea of getting me a guide dog. I have to admit, I scoffed at the idea at first. But the minute I met Lacie, I knew this would work out just fine, though it took me a while to learn to trust Lacie.

“Don’t get me wrong. Lacie always knows where to go, but because I can’t see, sometimes it’s hard to trust her. I can’t see her, and I can’t see where I’m going. But I can feel her, and I know she’s there. I need to let her lead me if I want to get somewhere safely. She’s saved me many times from crossing a busy street. I don’t know what I’d do without her.”

New Perspective
Mary reached down to pet her dog, who still lay at her feet. Kaylee smiled inwardly at their connection. If only she had someone to lead her though life like Mary had in Lacie.

Kaylee stopped short at the thought. When had she abandoned God? It now became clear to her that He’d never abandoned her, she’d just given up on Him. Kaylee knew she needed to learn to let God lead her, and trust Him as Mary had done with her guide dog. Not demand Him for an answer and then try to do her own thing.

A nurse peeked her head out the door that lead to examination rooms. “Mary Walters?”

Mary began to get up, and right away Lacie got up too, loyally by Mary’s side in an instant, ready to lead her.

Kaylee leaned forward and watched them leave. Then, closing her eyes and propping her elbows on her knees, she folded her hands and prayed. Sure, it may be hard at times to trust God’s lead, but it would be worth it. So worth it.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Giveaway!

I Graduated!

Annie Blogs.